When Intune was beta, I tried a trial at the time--which was well over a year ago. Since things change--including me--I decided to try another 30 day trial.
Back when I was looking at it over a year ago; my priority at the time was to see if it could be capable of 'fitting in' with the needs of managing a full 'pro' or 'business' version of Windows 8. The mobile management pieces of it weren't that interesting to me; it wasn't part of the landscape for me at work, and quite honestly I didn't have personal devices to test with. I still don't have a full range and scope of personal test devices; but tally-ho anyway!
Here's my new premise (subject to change of course--this is testing).
- Use Intune Standalone only, not hybrid to the home lab
- Get familiar with the console
- Management: users or devices or combination
I know that Intune works--it clearly works fine. It's my journey to understand how it works with my on-premise ConfigMgr background and knowledge. I'm sure it'll be a learning curve for me.
Signed up for Intune 30 day trial, created the first username and password.
Then I just made a new IE tab; and pasted in https://portal.office.com -- and without asking for a password, logged me right in. Seems a little odd; but I suppose that was due to the liveID.
There's an online walkthrough; it told me to create a new group, but any group name I tried said "failed to add group"
Call to b__9f was not permitted with the token|$$|ContextClass=AdHoc|$$|0=b__9f|$$|
Again, not very helpful. But after much clicking around, found that portal.office.com wasn't the right place to add a group--apparently I need to do that over on portal.azure.com; which is then available to be targeted by 'things' in manage.microsoft.com. Seems like a lot of consoles to go to... but if I think of it in my "how does similar stuff work when on premise"--one has a console for AD users and computers, and the CM console, and other consoles--so having multiple consoles to do similar setup for Intune shouldn't surprise me. Might also be because I *am* standalone testing, and not Azure AD / Hybrid testing. That would be a different experience and work flow.
Created a test user; and was able to create a group, and explicitly add that test user to that group.
Created a very very basic Configuration policy for Android, and targeted that group.
End of day one... Summary:
Created 30 day trial, created a standard user, created a group with that user, created and deployed a policy to that group.